Thursday, April 5, 2012

Playing and recording music to your ability

So often I see...and hear musicians trying to play and record music that is beyond there ability. I say this in a very humble way because I to had learn the same lesson. I knew I would never sing like a Chris Cornell or play guitar like SRV. No matter how I tried or how long I practiced, I would only be as good as my ability. So...I started writing music with that in mind. I heard a phrase years ago and I remind myself of it often "leave the ego at the door". For drummers and percussionist, don't expect to play double bass well if your ability is four on the floor. I would much rather hear a solid pocket drummer than someone playing beyond their ability stuggling with tempo. The same holds true for any other musician trying to play beyond their ability. As a band, look at your pieces and understand what you do well. The Rolling Stones made a career out of it. Hope to see you soon in the studio.

Chris and Kevin
Digital Street Studio and Media Productions
Dover, Delaware

No comments:

Post a Comment